Tjalling Dorhout Mees has been affiliated with Nysingh since 1992 and he became a partner in 1994. Tjalling focuses on insurance law, liability law, construction law and arbitration (he is an NAI arbitrator). He specialises in insurance law and arbitration law and he mainly works for insurers and large (groups of) contractors and as an arbitrator.
Tjalling obtained his doctorate with his thesis entitled De CAR-verzekering (Rotterdam 1996) and he is an authority in this field (Construction All Risk insurance). Together with his colleague Anita de Ruiter, among others, he is currently working on a book about arbitration rulings in the field of CAR Insurance.
Tjalling describes himself as rational and to the point. His colleagues find him to be an inspired coach and mentor. In addition to his activities for Nysingh, Tjalling fulfils a number of special positions. He is a deputy justice at the court in Den Bosch and a member of appeals boards of various institutions.
- University of Groningen
- Erasmus University Rotterdam (thesis on The CAR-insurrance 1996)
- Construction Lawyers Association (VBR-A)
- Construction Law Association (VBR)
- Association for Insurance Research (VVVW)
- Chairman of the Committee for Insurance Law of the Netherlands Bar Association
- Editor of AV&S
- Member of the Advisory Board of the Classical Academy in Groningen